Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary
- The rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.
- Any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy, and metaphysical philosophy that are accepted as composing this study.
- A system of philosophical doctrine: the philosophy of Spinoza.
- The critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, esp. with a view to improving or reconstituting them: the philosophy of science.
- A philosophical attitude, as one of composure and calm in the presence of troubles or annoyances.
There are probably as many philosophies about the stock market as there are about life, in fact most people engage in the stock market based on personal philosophical beliefs. For the most part the branches of philosophy deal with the following:
The Atlas Society
- Metaphysics (the theory of reality).
- Epistemology (the theory of knowledge)
- Ethics (the theory of moral values)
- Politics (the theory of legal rights and government)
- Aesthetics (the theory of the nature of art)
Our philosophy is based on a positive perception of the stock market and people in general. We believe this falls under ethics although there is an element to our work that would also be considered metaphysics. It may seem strange to hear “positive”, “ethics” and “stock market” in the same sentenced based on the headlines over the past decade but the overwhelming majority of businesses that are publicly trade strive to produce great products and services for their customers. We work to find those that best achieve these lofty ambitions and have the ability to continue to do so in the future.
It is our belief the stock market is a reflection of man’s efforts and when those efforts are positive ultimately it should be reflected in the value of the company. Because there is such a large negative perception about the stock market and the base philosophy of many investors is a harsh perspective of reality (think Nietzsche) the market has become more volatile and prone to massive dips that have nothing to do with intrinsic value. We believe investors must have a positive mindset to avoid taking unnecessary and costly losses.